<$BlogRSDURL$>

July 25, 2004

Where I'm At 

I'm coming in to the final two weeks of my internship, with several projects outstanding and not a lot of time to get them done.

It's been two months now since my last cigarette.  I kick arse.

I've begun work on some of the assignments for my Law Fellow duties.  So far, I have been less than impressed.  Why would a prof instruct students to look up a current law in a regional digest that stopped publishing in 1969?  Why wouldn't someone spell-check or proofread assignments before distributing them?  Why? Why? Why?  So maybe I'm a Type A+ personality, but I am bound and determined to fix some of these problems before they reach the 1Ls.  There are few things more frustrating than paying $32K a year only to receive poorly written and conceived assignments (from the WRITING department, no less).   Unacceptable. 

My OCI bid list is finally finalized.  I have culled the 400+ choices to 50 firms, 20 of which I could actually give a hoot about.   How one is expected to distinguish between choices 26-50 is beyond me (Oh, you mean they all have the same practice areas, crappy hours. and ridiculous salaries?  Who knew?).  The bottom line is I intend to get an offer from one of my Top 15 choices.  Period.  I have no reason to suspect that won't happen, BUT if it doesn't, I may start questioning the soundness of my investment in GULC.

My bid list is focused on the SF Bay Area and the Pacific Northwest, with the remaining spaces filled with DC firms.  I want to get back out West and there are really only three DC firms with the power/prestige to make me consider staying here (DC's a nice place, but the weather is dreadful!).  Here's hoping the lottery is kinder to me than that of the Registrar.

Oh, and the eAttorney interface sucks.  See, e.g. here.  For the bazillions undoubtedly invested in the program by Lexis, Matindale, and the participating schools & firms, you'd think they could take 10 minutes and ask some students what they don't like about it.  Even the ranking system for GULC's Write-On competition was more sophisticated and user-friendly.

Speaking of Write-On, I am still awaiting the results (first week in August, I am told).  However, congrats are due to Ditzy G and AmbImb and numerous other fellow blawgers who have been invited to join Law Review or other journals at their respective (and apparently more efficient) schools.