<$BlogRSDURL$>

August 03, 2004

We Don't Need No Water 

Let' see . . . what's been going on? Oh yeah, the courthouse burned down.

Well . . . not exactly, but the chambers of Senior Judge Laurence Silberman of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals (who also happens to be a Georgetown Professor) did. And the rest of the courthouse suffered smoke and water damage. Our chambers are directly below Judge Silberman's and got it pretty bad. Despite numerous cleanings, chambers remains covered in a fine layer of soot. The smell is like a wet ashtray and it burns the eyes and throat after awhile. Our courtroom also suffered fairly severe water, smoke, and soot damage and will be closed for awhile. At least, tomorrow is my last day; I only hope I don't leave my internship with a fresh case of lung cancer to go with my nice letter of recommendation.

My last day should be an interesting one. I have quite a bit more work to do on my final assignment, so it could be a late night. Yesterday, I finally finished a two-week, 33-page memorandum outlining why a Title VII plaintiff, despite nearly 2000 pages of "evidence," simply cannot survive summary judgment. Since then, I have made good progress on my last assignment, which is a fairly complex question of Article III standing, but much more remains to be done. We'll see what happens; either I'll get it done or I'll be a complete failure in the eyes of all I care about. Either way, I'm heading to the West Coast on Friday.

Write-on results are also supposed to be available tomorrow. While the pragmatic and ambitious law student in me hopes I make main journal (aka Law Review), my heart and desire to minimize the misery of the journal experience is pulling for my second choice. Either way, I'm heading to the West Coast on Friday.