<$BlogRSDURL$>

August 05, 2004

1L No More 

It's finally, completely, and officially over. I am a 1L no more. I realize I've claimed this rite of passage before, but I have since decided that both my summer job and the write-on competition are technically 1L events. Both are now complete and my 2L year begins with a few interviews next week at Portland firms (along with a much needed vacation to visit family and friends on the North Coast of Oregon). The week after that is Law Fellow training. The week after that is OCI. And the week after that, classes start. No rest for the weary.

My last day in chambers was good. The Judge and clerks surprised me with a very nice card and some gigantic (and quite tasty) cookies. The Judge said some nice things, admonished me to drop his name loudly and frequently, and said I had a standing invitation to return any time. I will likely come back in September to observe some hearings for the cases I've been working on. The clerks also said nice things and offered to help me out in my firm search and to get me interviews at their future firms (which I will likely take them up on if the OCI lottery fails me). I finished my last assignment about 7pm, placed my key to chambers on the desk, and left.

I could not have asked for a better summer job. While it required a lot of work, it was also an invaluable experience. The time I spent in court, reviewing motions, and talking with the judge taught me more about this little system we call justice than my entire first year. My assignments were interesting, challenging, and substantive. They didn't waste my time, and I didn't waste theirs. I leave with an incredible reference (the Judge) and contacts with several attorneys in the area (both clerks and some other attorneys who appeared before the Court), in addition to an increased confidence in my own ability (although my fiancee would probably tell you that increased confidence is the last thing I need) and a much better understanding of the law and the legal system.

To all Pre-Ls out there: go for a judicial internship during your 1L summer. It may not pay, but it offers an unparalleled experience and opportunity (and from what I can tell so far, future employers dig the sight of it).

In other "official end-of-1L" news, the Write-On results are in. I was invited to join the Georgetown Law Journal (aka main journal, law review, whatever). I think I'll accept.

Off to Oregon tomorrow. Hooray!