<$BlogRSDURL$>

June 03, 2004

The Irony of Idiocy 

So I was watching the Scripps National Spelling Bee tonight. (OK. I realize that probably sounds like the nerdiest thing someone could possibly do. But, they show it on ESPN so I count it as a sport; plus, the fantastic film Spellbound got me hooked.)

With only two contestants left, the show's announcers listed the various prizes the winner receives. I quote: "...the Encyclopaedia Britannica gives them a set, along with a CD for the computer. 'Cause they're all so computer illiterate..." I kid you not, the idiot host said "ILliterate." I Tivo'd it to be certain. Sure enough, illiterate. Hosting the National Spelling Bee. The irony is overwhelming.

By the way, the winning word was "autochthonous," an adjective meaning indigenous, native, or aboriginal.