<$BlogRSDURL$>

June 17, 2004

(In)decision 

Like so many 2Ls-to-be out there, I've been spending recent days culling down the firms coming to campus for Interview Week. The first cuts I made were based solely on geography. Not interested in NY, the Midwest, the South, or the Southwest. That leaves me with the West Coast and DC. And I'm not entirely sure about DC.

I like it here for the most part. And there are ton of ostensibly good firms. But, the weather sucks. Today's meteorological madness may have sealed the deal for me. As I began my walk to the metro station after work, the sky was clear. Five minutes later and halfway there, clouds had moved in. A few moments later, it began to rain. Hard. This freak storm (a few days before the start of summer) was stronger and dumped more rain than any storm I have ever seen in 20 years in California. My umbrella was no match for its ferocity. My suit and shoes were drenched instantly. It was miserable. These summer storms, coupled with the heat and humidity which oppresses the region, are gradually making DC a far less desirable location to begin my career.

I will probably still preference plenty of DC firms (there simply aren't enough West Coast firms coming to campus), but I will also be applying to a few more West Coast firms which don't participate in OCI. We'll see how it turns out. But, I suppose I ought to wait until my 2nd Semester grades come in (next week?) before I get too far ahead of myself.