<$BlogRSDURL$>

May 31, 2004

The Job 

My job starts tomorrow with an all-day orientation with the Judge's clerks. I'm a little excited, a bit nervous, but mostly curious. I really have no idea exactly what I will be doing this summer. How much responsibility I will have. What kind of deadlines I'll be operating under. What's expected of me.

And whether or not I can do it.

I've had a handful of "real" jobs in the past, but, with no offense to my former employers intended, none of them were real brainbusters. They had their challenges, mind you, and mistakes I made could have real consequences; but, nothing I have done to date seems quite as "real" as the type of assignments I anticipate being responsible for this summer. But, just like anything else, I'll give it my best shot and hope for the best. That's all I can really do.

In more immediate concerns, I am still far from recovered from last week's surgery. Prior to surgery, I swear they told me: 7 days recovery tops. Now, each time I talk with the doctor, it gets a little longer. 10 days. Really 14 days before you're starting to feel much better. A good three weeks before things are back to normal. It sucks.

I really don't like the idea of starting my job with a fever, unable to talk or eat, and doped up on liquid vicodin. Today was the worst post-surgery day in a while. I was nauseous all day, with a slight fever and a tremendous headache, and basically unable to swallow anything. Apparently, in addition to my surgical wounds, I have contracted some sort of infection in my throat (which I'm assured is "quite typical with this procedure") that my body is attempting to fend off. This immune system battle causes the headache and the fever, which, in turn, cause the dizzyness. The anti-biotics help my fighters, but cause the nausea. Add in the hyrdrocodone, and I probably shouldn't be giving my opinion on any summary judgment motions any time soon.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a bit better.