<$BlogRSDURL$>

May 27, 2004

Home from the Hospital 

I was released from the hospital yesterday after having some minor surgery (tonsils, palate, etc. to treat sleep apnea). The surgery went fine, but the hospital is run by monkeys. Tuesday, I spent 10 hours in "recovery" staring at a wall before they managed to find me a room to spend the night, despite their constant assurances that "the room will be ready soon." In fact, the only reason I got a room when I did was because I timed an outburst, storming around the recovery area, IV in hand, just as a group of residents/interns was being led around the area. The head doc asked what I was upset about, and, lo and behold, I was moved to my room 15 minutes later. The raspy voiced wheel gets the grease...

And then there was checkout yesterday. The monkeys discharge me at 7:00am in the morning, leaving me with two unfilled prescriptions. Why they didn't fill the scripts themselves or at least leave me with a few days worth of samples is beyond me. But, no big deal, I'll just get them filled at the hospital pharmacy. Or not. The hospital pharmacy doesn't open until 9:30. So, I decide we'll leave and fill them at a CVS on the way home.

Prior to being discharged, I asked for a parking sticker so E. didn't have to pay $15 for the 45 minutes she was there picking me up. My nurse told me she didn't have any permites, and directed me to three other spots where I should be able to get one. Two of the three were unmanned, and the third was too busy to help.

So, we headed out to the parking garage, showed the attendant my bracelet and discharge papers and she refused to let us out. After my protestations and requests that she call the desks where you allegedly could get the sticker and verify that no one was available...she called security on me. So I stormed back inside the hospital. There was still no one at the first two designated parking pass locations, so I head to the third. There's still a line of people, so I head right in the Employees Only door and, in the loudest raspy voice I can muster, demand a parking permit. They comply immediately.

I head back outside, where security is now harassing E. He says something to me as I approach the car and I respond that it's not a good idea for him to talk to me right now. We hand our permit to the gung ho parking attendant, pay the $2, and are on our way. It's now 8:00am.

We find a 24-hour CVS on the way home to fill the prescriptions. But, there is no one manning the pharmacy. Apparently, the pharmacist was supposed to be there at 8, but is "stuck in traffic." The pharmacist finally shows at 8:40, and 20 minutes later, I have my prescriptions. Another 15 minutes, and I'm home.

What could have been a 25 minute relaxing car ride home, had the hospital provided me with filled prescriptions and a parking permits, had turned into a more than 2 hour battle against idiocy and ineptitude, fought by a 26 year old law student, operating on no sleep, doped up on codeine, and incapable of yelling. It was quite the sight.

Thanks to E. for enduring the ride with me. I'm a pretty intense guy to begin with, but throw in a little surgery, a little pain, and a few stupid people, and things tend to really get interesting...