<$BlogRSDURL$>

May 02, 2004

Friendship on a Curve 

The Law School Curve: my nemesis, my best friend. It's a thing of beauty. The puppetmaster of law school, pulling the strings of every ambitious student.

Law students must be constantly aware of the omnipresence and power of The Curve. And such awareness necessarily affects our interpersonal relations. Here's how The Curve governs my life.

Average semi-anonymous classmates: I'm not sharing anything with you; no outlines, no notes, no brilliant observations or fabulous flowcharts. Nothing. (except class notes, maybe...if you ask)

Large study group (and a handful of select friends outside my study group) (8-10 people total): You get anything I inherit (outlines, flowcharts, etc.); In addition, you are eligible for class notes upon request and pieces of my own personal study aids if you ask or on a quid pro quo basis.

The smaller study group within the study group (3 people): you have access to most anything, and you don't even have to ask. If it's useful, I'll give it to you. However, I may not send my final, final study aid (the super-condensed one-page issue spotter), unless you ask.

The carte blanche study partner (one person): you have access to everything I have. If I think it will help, I'll send it to you. Including, the most useful exam aid: the one-page outline... (Note: people from other schools and/or sections have these same privileges, too. So, if you fit that category and need something, just ask).

That's how The Curve works in my life. It may seem harsh to those unfamiliar with law school competition, but it's how it has to be for me. Mind you, there's no animosity involved (and it goes without saying, I would never do anything to hurt another's chances), it's simply a matter of self-preservation...