<$BlogRSDURL$>

May 18, 2004

Better than nothing 

Well, I wasn't quite as productive today as I had hoped I would be. I did, however, manage to accomplish a few things (which is more than can be said for yesterday). My Bluebook exam answers for the Write-On have been thoroughly double-checked and I am as confident as one can be (given the nature of The Bluebook) of their accuracy. I have transcribed them onto the Scantron and can check one thing off my list. I also managed to draft personal statements for the five journals that require them. It took longer than I had expected and I'm certainly glad I got them out of the way. If I hadn't, they would have undoubtedly remained neglected until the 11th hour and amounted to meaningless drivel, unlikely to make a rousing first impression.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the personal statements was the journals which requested them. Of the 10 journals, the five which requested personal statements are commonly thought of as the less "prestigious" (and almost certainly less popular) of the journal choices. Ultimately, I ended up writing a statements professing my desire to join their journal, despite the fact that they will undoubtedly be at the bottom of my preferences. I can hear them now: If you really want to be on this journal, why did you rank it 10th? Liar. You're a frickin' liar.