<$BlogRSDURL$>

March 29, 2004

This is not my blog... 

Anonymous Lawyer recently posted about the controversy currently brewing in law firms over the blawgs of associates (including summer hires!). Just as I have always feared, despite the sheer vastness of the Web, there is no such thing as anonymity. People (including hiring partners) are watching (and reading).

A few months ago, I received an IM from someone who really liked my webpage. The thing is, I didn't have a webpage a few months ago. Where did she find my IM address? Why did she think I had a webpage? After a short IM conversation, I realized she was viewing a webpage I had created my freshman year of college, 8 years ago!!! I did a couple Internet searches and, sure enough, there it was, in all its ignominy. Buried deep within the files of my former roommate's engineering account, my website persisted, nearly a decade since the last update. Most of the links still worked, and, more troubling, all of the content remained. What I though was funny when I was 17, will keep me off the Supreme Court when I'm 67.

I don't anticipate these revelations will affect my posts on this site. But, I will be watching my words so they won't be able to haunt me in perpetuity (Isn't there some sort of Rule Against Perpetuities?) And, if you know who I am, this is not my blog and nothing I say is true.