<$BlogRSDURL$>

March 13, 2004

Solitude & Solace 

The house is empty again. Just me, my fish, my laundry, and my outlines. The wife-to-be is in sunny California until Wednesday; unfortunately, her impromptu trip is for less than sunny reasons. Despite our best efforts to the contrary, life keeps happening. I wish I could be there with her and her family, but the calculus of expense and time didn't work out in my favor.

On a related note, I learned yesterday that most airlines offer "compassion fares" for short-notice trips under unfortunate circumstances. American was so compassionate, they offered DC to Sacramento for $750; United was even more compassionate, offering to do the trip for $710; Frontier had no compassion at all. Bastards.

Turns out Orbitz was the most compassionate of all (without even claiming to be), with a United flight for $365.

There are many things in this world I will never understand.