<$BlogRSDURL$>

March 15, 2004

Beware the Ides of March 

Spring Break is over and I am ever so anxious to get back to class (please forgive the blatant lie, I am trying a little psychology this cool Sprinter (as JCA aptly named it) morning where my bed and its soft & warm comforter looks mighty nice).

Class aside, what I am really thinking about is my childhood best friend, Doug. Doug lived across the street from me. We were fast friends when I moved in at age 3. Doug was a year older than me. I skipped Kindergarten in part to be in the same class with Doug. Today is Doug's birthday. My birthday is less than a week away. Growing up, I was a spoiled little snot. Every year, Doug would get something for his birthday, and I would get something a little better for mine a week later.

If Doug got a bike, I'd get a better one. If Doug got a skateboard, I'd get a cooler one. If Doug got a scooter, I'd get the most expensive one. This wasn't kind of me. Doug moved away when I was 13. Since then, I have grown far less spoiled and far more lucky. I wish I could apologize to Doug for being such a brat. In the meantime, I'll just hope Doug has a good birthday today.