<$BlogRSDURL$>

March 02, 2004

Bachelor Pad 

The wife-to-be is gone. She is at a job-related conference until Sunday. The house is eerily quiet. I now have no real reason to leave my office and I suddenly find myself consumed with easements and servitudes and minimum contacts and crime-fraud exceptions, with no one around to pull me back to reality. Who will remind me to eat? Who will tell me when The OC is on?

All the law school "guides" I read before starting school warned of the dangers of trying to maintain a relationship during the first year of law school. They quoted horrifying statistics of relationship demise; asserted depressing estimates about available time to spend together. They all but told me to break up now to avoid the inevitable. They were wrong.

I can't imagine surviving law school without the grounding force, willing ear, and moral support my fiancee provides. Not to mention the fact that being able to say I'm struggling through it for "us" instead of "me" somehow makes it seem more worthwhile. I know that much of my success (past and potential) in law school is due to the significant other the books told me I was sure to lose; and I know that all of my potential failures will be mine alone.

So to all the prospective 1Ls out there: go with your heart and ignore the guidebooks. The only thing I gained from reading various "insider's guides" to law school is an unhealthy obsession with multi-colored highlighting. But, I probably would have had that anyway.